Tuesday 19 December 2006

8 September 2005

ALFRED - 8 SEPTEMBER 05.

The bed was very hard, and so was the pillow, rather like those log pillows that the Chinese are meant to have used. But I slept and woke early, as there was no curtain on the window, though I do not suppose it would have made a difference, as it is flood lit outside. It was very early, as light was changing from the orange of the floodlights to the grey of the morning. I was wondering about all sorts of things. Here I was in prison. Me, who been so conformist all my life. But I had gone against the system, purposely, because the council tax had risen by 8.5 % and all people on low fixed incomes were only getting a rise in income of about 2.5%, after years of council tax rises of anything between 3.9 and 5%. I do not know if my protest and those of other people will have any effect at all.
In our cell the toilet was next to the door, a narrow wall hid most of it from the rest of the cell, and the washbasin stood next to it. I had awash, a pretty thorough one as I had slept in my underpants and vest. I asked John about shaving, and as he was bearded, it did not affect him. He told me one collected a razor from the officer at the toiletry hatch, which I did when I went down to collect breakfast at 8.0am I was told to return the razor before lunch. After breakfast the cell doors were left open so that we could clean out our cells, and the cleaning of the landings was carried out too. It was them that I was greeted, " Hallo Vicar. Saw you on Tele, last night." Prisoners came up and said I had done well and they supported and encouraged me.
There was a yell from prisoners on the ground floor going to the gym and education. Being partly deaf, I never did understand what those yells were all about and had to ask someone. Then it was" Bang-up". The doors were shut and bolted. I am a little hazy about what went on and when. But lunch was about 12.30pm. More yells for something else came from the ground floor as the day went on. Somewhere about 3.30pm it was association, and we came out of our cells, and went down to the ground floor, and milled around; some played bar billiards, and a few played table tennis, and then we were banged-up until supper time. And then banged-up for the night. I saw Una on the TV and saw a string of Soap operas and finally climbed into bed in my underpants and vest.
During the early evening there was a lot of shouting, when people in cells called out for tobacco or papers or matches, which were swung on ropes made up from the bottom of sheets, torn off. Eventually things quietened down. I felt as if I was in another world, which had its own timetable and procedures which I already forgotten, and may be I would get into trouble. I think to-morrow I will be stupid and ask what was going on, and what was supposed to be doing.
It was at this time I thought a lot about Una, and how she might or might not be coping. I was pleased that Joel, our son was with her because I knew he would be a tower of strength. I thought of Anne, in Barnstaple, and little Jake. How at 7 years old do you cope with a grandfather in prison?
I decided that 28 days spent here was going to be boring and a great waste of time. How do people doing a long stretch manage it?



UNA - SEPTEMBER 8TH 2005

The day began with an interview with Radio Northampton at 7.30 a.m.

Joel and Justin were up before return to Oxford with plenty of yesterday's action caught on the cine- camera. It was good meeting Joel's friend who had fitted in so well.

At 9.30 Martin Evans from the Daily Express was at the door. He thought I would be impressed by his paper's headline to release Alfred from Prison. This was the last thing we wanted to happen. Agreed that it was monstrous that a 71 year old should go to Prison for a civil offence. The law is clear that that the sentence must be served before we are in the position of not having to pay the debt, inflated by the Council's own procedures. After 5 months of paying our Council Tax bill without the year's increases, the Council had stopped us paying altogether unless we paid the full amount in one go. The Council said we owed them £691 which included Court and Bailiff's costs. Our real debt amounted to £43, which were the tax increases we had refused to pay for 5 months we had succeeded already in drawing a great amount of attention to the flaws in the Council Tax system. We needed the present opportunity to add pressure for council tax reform. After a while Martin Evans understood our position. The Daily Express restrained themselves from seeking Alfred's release.

Shortly afterwards I opened the door to two tall men who were Nick Britten from the Telegraph and a photographer, David Burgess. This second interview went along the same lines as the first although Nick insisted on clear answers about Alfred's stance. Photos were taken during and after the interview and it was a relief when this ended and they finally went away. I reminded myself that we needed the attention from the national papers.

Hot on their heels came two groups of ITV camera crews again to collect the "morning after" state of affairs for the daytime news spot.

Ross Slater introduced himself as an Agency Journalist when I next opened the door. In he came and we slowly went through our story again. This was a really dogged experience which left no time for lunch that day.

Two bunches of flowers gave me some going power. They were cheerful sunflowers, delivered by two music students and a stylish bouquet that the Daily Mail reporter, Christian Gyson, carried with him when he called.
One of our protest group quickly handed me a miniature white rose plant when she came by in the afternoon. This lasted throughout the 28 days, standing on our sitting room table and gave a lot of pleasure.

Early afternoon I went shopping in Somerfields where all the staff were encouraging and concerned about Alfred. They did not like the idea of him being in Prison with his slight heart problem He and I were not unduly worried about this because his doctor had controlled the problem well and Alfred does not take risks. Even so, it was good to feel their concern.

Martin Henry, Head of Finance at the Council, phoned to let me know that ahead of a Press Release he wanted me to know that the Council had decided to wipe out our debt to them. He was courteous enough al though I felt it was an internal rather than a public matter for the Council. There was a hint of trying to "look good" from the Council's point of view.
I forgot to ask for this message to be confirmed in writing. I made a note to follow this up.

Joel came home early from work and we had supper together before he went to meet Christian Gyson who seemed to be staying in a local pub. Joel became our right hand man during this time liasing between many. He proved to be a real strength to us all the way through our chosen journey.

In the evening Mike Schofield of Isitfair phoned to let me know that he was encouraging all supporters by E-mail to flood the Prison letters and cards for Alfred. He felt, in time, we would make the history books! Mike was organising M.P.s to present Petitions from their constituents in Parliament for Council Tax Reform during the 2nd week in October. This should help focus attention on the Council Tax issue once more. All the time continual pressure is needed.
When Christine phoned later she was enthusiastic about an idea for these Petitions to be presented to M.P.s on St. Stephen's Green. This could be effective but very hard to organise.

Anne told me that as she would not be able to visit her Dad in Prison she would try to write daily letters. This would be a new link between them I though which would give them both a chance to share their feelings.

Today I had fixed three visits with the Prison authorities. This is possible to do on weekdays only, booking three visits in advance at a time. Alfred's Prison number is MX8993. This has to be used for all Prison contacts. Now I can look forward to tomorrow afternoon when I shall see him at 2.15 p.m.
Joel and Christian are coming too. I hope Alfred will be pleased to see us all.

Dear Bee of 91 years left a message on the Answer phone. She had read about us in the Times. She was very concerned to know how we were. Another message came from a mutual friend that I had been waiting to hear from since May. She spoke about the "difficult" time we were going through. This might have had a weakening effect on me if I had not thought quickly that we had deliberately chosen to act this way because we had exhausted all the democratic ways of making a protest. Council Tax reform was a very serious issue with us. We could not live with its unfairness.

There had been 42 calls today. I have never received so many in one day. So many had come from friends and relations across the years that it seemed my life kaleidoscope into this one day. I wondered if Alfred would feel buoyed up by all these contacts, showing such support and understanding, as I did

It was the first time our answer phone instructed me to delete some calls to make room for more!

The day finished with a late night radio interview with James Wale who was outraged over Alfred's imprisonment and understood his stance: to draw attention to the gross unfairness of the Council Tax system. This news was certainly being widely known, thanks to the media attention.

I had written my first letter to Mr. Blair today, a self-inflicted penance to match Alfred's 28 days Sentence.

Weariness was setting in as I pulled the bedclothes together for a much needed sleep. I really missed Alfred's shape around our home and it felt very strange having a vacant place next to me in bed.

No comments: