Tuesday 19 December 2006

4 October 2005- Released At Last


ALFRED - TUESDAY. 4TH. OCTOBER.

I was up very early, and wondering what was in store for me, and our family. I really had only the vaguest idea. I was excited about leaving prison, but also concerned about a barrage of press and also the friends and supporters that would be outside the prison entrance; and about what exactly I would say to them, and when I would be allowed to say it. I knew the Trevor Macdonald crew would take us off, and interview Una and me. As they would not broadcast their programme until after the Daily Mail had its share of us. I could say what I was going to say without breaking the agreement with the newspaper.

I went and collected breakfast. I did not bother with toast as I was not that hungry, and knew I could get something at home when I got there. But I took a bowl of porridge which was pretty good. Here it did not deserve the vaguely derogative reputation associated with Ronnie Barker's TV comedy show, 'Porridge'.

I had packed my plastic bag, and sat and waited for 'main movements'. A prison officer came and told me that the Governor wanted to see me. I was very surprised, and could not think what it was about. I was led to the staff rest room. I had seen the Governor out in the grounds while we were exercising. He is a neat dapper man, about 50 years old. He invited me into the room and an attending prison officer closed the door behind me. The Governor told me that there was a large crowd of people outside the main gate, and that they could impede the traffic movement. He offered to secretly smuggle me out in a van and drop me at the railway station. I was not sure whether this was for my sake, or for the prison's, or maybe for both. I declined his offer and said the sooner I was released, the sooner the crowd would go, and I thanked him.
I returned to my cell. I do not think that the door was closed as 'main movements' would be called shortly. Shortly afterwards I was called to the wing gate.

A young inmate was there with his bag. He told me that he was being transferred to HMP Olney just outside Rugby. I had been there, many years ago, while I was Rector of West Haddon and Winwick. The Senior Education Officer lived in West Haddon. She had invited the clergy of the Deanery to the prison to learn how prisoners were catered for. I understand HMP Olney was for younger prisoners and provided them with opportunities for the outside world. They could qualify in various subjects and get work experience. It is a class D prison, almost an open one, as opposed to this prison which is a High Security class A prison.

As main movements moved, I made my way to the reception building, and into an airless waiting room. I was called to the reception area, and took possession of all the prison had kept away from me. When the officers saw my bag with HMP Woodhill on it, they gave me three black backpacks, and I transferred all my possessions into them. All three were nearly full. I handed over my ID card. But before I went to the waiting room, and just for remembrance, I had my final strip search, supervised by two men in civilian clothes. They had a look of retired police officers. They were quite friendly, and they told me they were now in charge of me until I left the prison. I waited in the light and airy little waiting room, until my transport came. They explained I would be taken close to the outside exit where my family were waiting.

Eventually, a mini bus drew up outside and I and my bags were helped in. The sliding door was not closed, and we went out of the double gated entrance, telling the gate keeper I was for release.

I suppose I was driven about 200 yards. The bus pulled to the kerb. Ahead, I could see Una, Anne and Joel waiting. The driver and his companion said good-bye, and I started to get out. Joel was there first, and grabbed the backpacks, Anne came next, followed by Una. I was delighted by hugs all round, and I could hear all the people who had gathered outside.

I have never seen so many people gathered together for me. There were cheers and greetings shouted. I was totally bemused, and in desperate need of time to gather myself together, but was ushered towards them. The cameras flashed and made their electronic sounds. I do not remember exactly what I said, but obviously how pleased I was to be out, and how delighted I was to see them all.

I think it was Anne who kept saying, "Come on!” dragging me towards a mini bus a little bit further along the road. Una and I got in, and squeezed between the Trevor Macdonald interviewing crew. The microphone hung over from the front passenger seat. The Cameraman sat behind the driver, facing us, and we said our bit as we drove along. I think Una did more speaking than I did, as I was still bemused by the whole process. It took about 2o to 25 minutes to get home.

I changed my clothes and had a wash. It was absolutely wonderful to be home again. I seem to remember that Anne and Joel disappeared after we had a mug of soup and a nibble. I am not sure. It could be that Joel cooked bacon and eggs, or something like that.

Then Una and I were driven to the Saracen's Head. I popped into the bar, and ordered a pint of IPA and, as I had told Pat, I toasted those I had spent 28 days with.

But I was not left in peace for long, but was led into the room next door with my glass in hand, to the table. Opposite were the cameras and microphones and a mass of people. I said a few words, very few, and questions were asked. It was announced there would only be three allowed. Then Christine Melsom spoke. Anne kept saying to me," That was enough," and " Come on",

I was led to Christian Gyson's car and we drove to our home to pick up our car. We then followed Chrtian's car out of Towcester to Banbury, to the Whately Hall Hotel, where we would stay for a day or two while I was interviewed.

Our large room was on the second floor, overlooking the hotel garden. We all - Una, Anne and Joel and I went into the garden where we were joined by Mark Richardson, the photographer, who took some photos. And very good they are. Some all together, some of just Una and me. We all have copies of them. I have never seen pictures of us looking so happy.

A little later we met Christian and the photographer in the bar and had some drinks before dinner, and afterwards a few more drinks.

My goodness, we were very tired, and soon went to bed. One of the things I most like is going to bed with Una. Lying in bed we spoke about the day, and how very pleased we were to be together again.



UNA - OCTOBER 4TH 2005

This was a very important day. A " Ready Alert " sign flashed in my mind as soon as I woke. Just to keep calm I needed to move around from 4.45 a.m. preparing the house and myseif.

Suddenly I remembered I must put our cases in the car. Later in the day I would be driving to Banbury because the following day I would need to drive back for the Wednesday afternoon lessons. Why had I continued to teach throughout these 28 days? There was the professional answer, that my students should not have their routine disturbed if possible; and the personal reason, that I could keep a balance or even a kind of escape from everything else that was going on; it was a safe country for me.

The cases were now in the boot of the car, and I realised before too long that Anne would be here, and the TV crew too. But at this moment, the morning was still beautifully soft and dark.
I reminded myself to enjoy every moment of today which was the climax of a hard spell. We have lived through this and we chose to do so.

I feel uneasy about Tim Maybe because of bungling his interview arrangements with Alfred.
My thoughts keep turning to Alfred coming out of the Prison into the OPEN. I hope we shall be on time for him. He is unable to see the other side of the prison gates. It will be an awesome moment for him when he does.

His signet ring is on my finger to give him as soon as possible. It bears his family's unicorn crest and he has worn it ever since I gave it to him for a Birthday present years ago. He left this and his watch at home when he went to prison.

At this moment I felt a great surge of love for dear Anne driving here, for dear Joel getting some sleep while I potter about down here, for dear Alfred......................... I am having an emotional moment!

Anne arrived at 7 a.m. in time to calm down a journalist from Radio Northampton who arrived out of the blue seeking an interview. Radio Oxford phoned as he was getting prepared and beat him to it which panicked him horribly. Anne Diamond is very easy to work with. In the end both stations had their story.

Trevor Macdonald's crew arrived quietly in two vehicles, one being a black-windowed Mercedes. This was used to drive me to Milton Keynes. Anne and Joel set off in Anne's car ahead of us. On the way there I was interviewed by a very experienced guy named Michael. A camera man was squeezed in alongside us.

There were a spattering of cameras waiting at the prison. We parked in the visitors' car park which was mostly empty. Halfway between the car park and the prison gates stood Anne, waiting as close as possible to the place where Alfred should emerge. Joel moved between her and everyone else to make sure it was understood that Alfred was due to appear at 10 a.m.
Several of the Press who were arriving now, greeted me. It was good to share the moment as we waited. Some had talked to me days ago at home. Tim Maybe was one of these. He was set up ready with his earphones over his head and a microphone in his hand. I felt very relieved that I had the opportunity to explain to him personally, that his interview with Alfred could not now take place. He did not understand the mobile phone difficulty when I described my failed attempts to speak to him.

I was still apologising for not being able to give him more advanced notice, when two powerful bulky looking men closed in on me. They quietly explained that Alfred was not coming out of Prison alone. He would be driven out to the edge of the car park so that he could walk from there to where the Press waited - ranged across the main entrance close to the road. Once they had explained the plan the policemen turned on their heels and returned to the main building.

It was a wonderful moment when we saw the white van with Alfred inside, drive towards us. Both the driver and Joel helped Alfred out and lifted down his own belongings and two extra bags filled with mail and gifts. There were hugs from his family in turn to welcome him back.
Alfred moved to stand in front of a huge array of cameras and beamed at them all and was able to make a short statement, until Anne shepherded him into the Mercedes with me and the TV team.

I gave him back his signet ring then. He smiled and slipped it on his left hand's little finger where it belonged.

On the way home Michael asked him many questions which he did his best to answer. He was exhilarated at being free again.

Upstairs at home he had time to shave and change his clothes. We had a small panic. His toilet bag was missing but we calmed down when we found it on the floor of his cupboard wardrobe!

Downstairs there was a peaceful houseful of people. Joel and Anne were providing cups of coffee and tea for everyone. They sat mainly in the garden on the patio in the sunshine. It was so good to be together again and among those who were so friendly towards us.

As 12 p.m. neared Christian drove us off to the Saracen's Head. The carpark there was overfilled with cars and press vans.

Christian chose to park on the edge of the entrance facing the way out. He knew what he was doing.

As Alfred and I entered the Hotel he ordered a pint of IPA. He managed a few sips before being swept forward into the " Press Room." Both of us went down some steps to take our places behind the table, facing a great number of journalists and cameramen. They were silhouetted behind the light that shone on us. Some were ready with pens in their hands. Behind us I glimpsed the big banner of Isitfair displayed right across the wall.

A burst of applause greeted Alfred. Christine gave me a most beautiful white flowered bouquet which overwhelmed me completely, followed by a hug and a kiss which meant even more.
Alfred thanked everyone for coming and the attention they had brought to our campaign for council tax reform. Christine read her prepared statement. Journalists wrote quickly. Questions began, just a few.

When we began to move away, Tim Maybe especially made a fuss about the short time we gave to the Press. He had obviously felt cheated and had not accepted what I had explained to him.

Sadly there was no time to explain to Christine why we had to leave so soon. I just hoped she could use the opportunity to give the council tax issue even more publicity, being the leader of the Isitfair campaign. As we left I noticed one of our group standing at the side of the room with a gigantic pink-flower arrangement in her hands and I hoped that it was for Christine.

We drove away from the Saracen's Head in Christian's car for us to collect and drive our car to Banbury behind him. No one followed us. Anne and Joel had already gone on ahead.

Once inside the Whately Hall Hotel we began to relax. During this time we caught the news that Ronnie Barker had died. Thinking of his true- to- life series of " Porridge" it seemed to us that we were strangely in tune with him just now.

After a family lunch we went into the gardens so that Mark Richards could take photographs. He made us feel very much at ease while he took various shots. He showed us two of these on his computer before he left. We all agreed they were the best photos we have ever seen of our family taken together. Each one of us looked completely at ease.

We appreciated the care Christian showed to all of us. Obviously he was doing his job, but I believe he went beyond that. This was such an important day, completing 38 days that had highlighted the glaring need for action from the Government to bring about Council Tax Reform.
And I have my husband back. I am so proud of him. We have stood firmly together as a family throughout this extraordinary time of our lives. I am quite sure this experience has strengthened our trust and respect in each other.

A for the cause, we can only hope that in the near future the campaign will be able to fulfil its aim.

Are there enough people to make this happen?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your story in the Northampton Herald and Post, Thursday January 4th. That you hoped to publish the diaries as a book.... If you go to www.lulu.com you can self-publish for free and for a small charge have it sold on Amazon.com and also in book shops!

zos@hotmail.co.uk

Anonymous said...

Alfred and Una - you have paid such a high price for your convictions, you have my greatest admiration.

One can only hope that the stand you and others have taken will be heeded by the politicians whose present need for hearing aids is so acute!