Tuesday 19 December 2006

23 September

ALFRED - FRIDAY. 23RD. SEPTEMBER.

Una came into the Visitor's Hall with a disturbed expression. She told me that she had arranged with a Channel 5 TV crew to meet her as she arrived at Woodhill. They filmed her arriving, looking for a parking space, and then asked her to do it again for the camera, and then leaving the car, they filmed her walking to the visitor's entrance. She told me later that they were still there when she left, and she had an interview. I should think she might be pretty good at that by now, with all the experience she has had with other interviews she has given.
I was able to introduce her to Dev, who was being visited by his brother, who is keeping an eye on Dev's businesses, as well as running his own, and looking out for Dev's family. It is those who are on the outside, when someone is in prison, who suffer as much or more than the prisoner. When inside, there is nothing much you can do but phone home or write letters.
It must be similar for the crews on merchant ships who sail, sometimes for months without getting home. While I was at school, we would visit the Mission down in London's Dockland. And very close by there was a Mission to Seamen Hostel, of the world famous Flying Angel, where sailors could stay ashore while the ships were being unloaded and re loaded. The Mission staff worked very hard to help the foreign sailors to sort out their affairs in their home countries. Later, when I had two Livings in Guernsey, they included some Trinity House cottages, housing for lighthouse keepers and their families. There was the Hanois Light just off the shore of Torteval Parish, the last lighthouse in Britain to go automatic, and I became an Honorary Mission to Seamen Chaplain. I would fly out to the light by helicopter about once a year. But this is digressing.
I have been thinking about Sylvia Hardy as she is approaching her court appearance in Exeter very soon. In Devon they have a very good protest group, who seem to support each other closely. I have had many letters from that group, supporting my stand and encouraging me while I am at Woodhill. The little post that filters down to me includes many from them.

Una has mentioned the Press Conference when I leave. I have agreed that we have one in the Saracen's Head, in Towcester, early in the afternoon of my release. She said she would organise it. It will give us time to be together at home with Anne and Joel, before facing the questions and cameras.

We are very happy that the government has postponed the revaluation of homes until 2007. It would be great if our action had something to do with that, and the postponement of the Sir Michael Lyons Report, yet again. Very many protestors against and those who are suffering from these most unfair council tax increases, keep writing to the Prime Minister, other Ministers, and MPs. Very few will be read, and even fewer will be answered, but the pile of post must have some affect on them.
Christine Melsom, the leader of Isitfair seems to be making a supreme effort with all her energy about this protest, including overseeing a demonstration at the Labour Party Conference,
What sort of world do these MPs live in? Cloud Cuckoo land? When are they going to spend some of their time on the people of Great Britain?

Tomorrow morning's visitor will be Bishop Frank White, the Suffragan Bishop of Brixworth.
I have had a letter from the Diocesan Bishop of Peterborough, saying he has written to the Archbishop of Canterbury, asking him to allow me to continue to take Services, when required, after my release. If I cannot help my fellow clergy when they are unwell, or when they wish to go on holiday, what has that got to do with the Archbishop?
It is not as if I am an Incumbent of a Parish any more and having to be circumspect.
From our previous experience, it will take months before he even replies.


UNA - SEPTEMBER 23RD 2005

I made two interesting contacts while shopping in Somerfields. I was asked if I had watched Question Time on television the previous night. David Milleband M.P. was one of the panellists. He had referred to both Sylvia Hardy and Alfred Ridley when answering a question about council tax. The council tax issue would not have received this level of attention without both of them making such a strong stance. They appealed to the British sense f standing up for what is right.
Just outside the store I was stopped again, recognised from all the publicity in the media, to be told by an elderly man that both his daughter and son-in-law were prison warders at Woodhill. They both felt that Alfred should not be in a high security prison. We had learned it would have cost more to send Alfred to an open prison for 28 days than to be at Woodhill. As it turned out we found this acceptable because Alfred was not threatened in any way, and it took under half an hour on a good traffic day to visit him there.

The Manager at the Saracen's Head showed me three rooms that were bookable for the Press Conference. Similar to the Three Bears story their sizes were small, medium and large. The medium size seemed just right. It was furnished comfortably and seemed right for sound. We agreed 2 p.m. as a suitable time and the cost was £50. The Manager did not turn a hair when I told him to expect a busy time because of the probability of numbers of cameramen and journalists homing in to Towcester on October 4th.

As I walked down Watling Street to get back to the car, I stopped to have a word with the Big Issue salesman. He shared this idea with me: " Let the public take turns to be the Government, in the same way as being selected for Jury Service," he said. " They would be more in contact with people than today's Politicians." I could not argue with this view.
The only place I knew where politicians rubbed shoulders with their electorate was in the Channel Islands so more views could be exchanged at closer quarters than in our country.

As I put the shopping away, Joel and I chatted. He was working at an event in Milton Keynes later today where Pink Floyd, Jeremy Clarkson and David Ramsey were putting in appearances. Beforehand he was coming with me to see Alfred, but travelling separately there.

Today the weekly local papers were published and we read the articles about Alfred which were clear and accurate as usual. They had given us coverage for a year. People read the local press more closely than the nationals I think.
I found a copy of the Church of England Newspaper amongst the flood of this morning's post which included a letter sent in response to the article Christine and I had written about the Council Tax.
Part of it said about Alfred: " I, for my part support his actions even though I work in local government. I see terrible waste in government offices......thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money are spent on " reinventing the wheel - refurbishing the offices with new furniture and creating " contact centres " which probably won't work and only create more bureaucracy.......
I sincerely hope, as Christians we stand alongside Mr Ridley to show that increased taxes must be justified and that those who point this out should be dealt with in a fair and balanced way and not used as scapegoats."
The article was worth the effort to get a response like that.

Just before I left for the Prison visit, Wayne from the Chronicle & Echo, phoned for an update. I told him about the weak letter I had been sent from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister, in reply to one of my letters sent to the Prime Minister. I had been sent one acknowledgement from 10 Downing Street. I knew there would be no serious answer from the Prime Minister himself but there was some grim satisfaction in keeping these letters going for 28 days.

Parking was slightly easier today at Woodhill. I spotted the TV journalist and cameraman who quickly came forward to meet me. It was raining and we huddled under my large rainbow coloured umbrella to discuss what they would like me to do. This meant driving through the entrance again to be filmed, followed by answering questions about Alfred. After my visit they wanted me to use some letters we had received, that I had brought with me, to highlight the support we had been given and continued to receive.
Before anything else happened I insisted on clocking in at Reception. They filmed me disappearing through the door of the building.
The crew wanted me to drive twice more through the Prison entrance but I refused the second time because I was afraid of losing my parking place. No one thought to stand there and claim it for me!

When I arrived inside the Reception area the second time, numbers were being called to start the visiting procedure. No sign of Joel. Suddenly he came swinging along, his head easily seem above the crowd. He had difficulty finding a parking place and had a long walk to get here. I very glad to see him.
Alfred was looking much better today. The first thing he told us was that he was confident that he was going to get his clothes tomorrow morning! We chatted away together, all three of us, and the time went quickly as usual I told him about the interview for Channel 5 and about the Guernsey Press article. Alfred said this needed an answer which made me feel pleased that my response was already in the post.

After the interview finished with Channel 5, they told me it would go out on Monday at 11.30 a.m. and at 5.30 p.m. to add to the coverage for Sylvia Hardy's Court Hearing and consequent Prison Sentence that day.
Before I drove away, a Prison Officer going on duty, stopped for a chat. He described himself as a people's person, and liked to think that in the thirty years as a Warder, he had been able to help a good many prisoners to change. He made it crystal clear that he supported us in our efforts that are reported constantly in the media at the moment.

Driving home along the A5 I spotted a dark blue 1972 Volkswagen for sale at £1500. I knew Joel would be interested. It was immaculate but possibly too pretty with its chrome fittings for Joel. Replying to my text message he said he would look at it on his way home later.

In sharp contrast tonight there were no phone messages. Just peace and quiet. The weekend had begun.
I slowly did what was necessary beginning with confirming the Saracen Head's booking.
The Christmas puddings got their chance to start part of their eight hours boiling time, possibly reaching halfway tonight.
I phoned Anne, for once, and chatted family news.
After a while the phone rang and arrangements were made for me to go to BBC's TV studio in Northampton on Monday at 1 p.m. to join a programme, which would include news about Sylvia Hardy.
For once I phoned Christine to give her an update. She was in the middle of sending Sylvia's address by E-mail to her supporters so that they could get in touch, as they had done for us.
I wrote the P.M.'s letter early.
I watched a Trevor MacDonald programme on dumping, to get an idea of its style. They were very thorough in the in-depth investigations contained in this feature.
This was followed by a Taggart episode, a programme Alfred and I often watched together. Perhaps he was watching tonight.
Slightly mesmerised at the end of the story, I checked the puddings, turned off the gas and slowly made my way upstairs for a somewhat earlier night. It had been a kaleidoscopic day.

No comments: